Recently, The Punjab government has decided to bring one million hectares under the Direct Seeding of Rice (DSR) technique for the crop this year.
- Direct seeding is a method under which pre-germinated seeds are directly drilled into the field by a tractor-powered machine.
- There is no nursery preparation or transplantation involved in this method.
- In this water is replaced by real chemical herbicides and farmers have to only level their land and give one pre-sowing irrigation.
- Experts said that with DSR technique, which is called ‘tar-wattar DSR’ (good soil moisture), farmers must sow paddy only after pre-sowing (rauni) irrigation and not in dry fields.
- Further, the field should be laser levelled.
- The Punjab Agricultural University (PAU) in Ludhiana has developed a ‘Lucky Seed Drill’ that can both sow seeds and simultaneously spray herbicides to control weeds.
READ MORE: Daily Prelims Booster
READ MORE: Daily News Analysis
Leave a Comment