China’s Diplomacy in Central Asia
Why in the news?
The China and the five Central Asian republics (C+C5) grouping trade meeting indicated the growing diplomatic ties of china with Central Asia region.
What is the status of China’s relation with Central Asia?
- Ancient Silk Route – Provided trade, cultural, and people-to-people links with the Central Asian region with china historically.
- Break-up of the Soviet Union – This gave an opportunity to China to formalize the ties with Central Asia.
- Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) – China’s relationship with the region was institutionalized with SCO.
- Trade route – The central Asia provided trade route to Europe for China.
- Chinese investments – Have helped to upgrade Soviet-era infrastructure and carry out development works in these countries.
- Belt and Road Initiative – There are 51 BRI projects located in the region, which provides transit hub for China’s trade with Europe.
- C+C5 summit – A grouping of China + Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, and Kyrgyzstan.
- This summit is the latest development of series of Chinese engagement with Central Asia.
What is the status of India’s relation with Central Asia?
- Summit of the C5 – Prime Minister Narendra Modi hosted a virtual summit of the C5 in
- India’s first engagement with the Central Asian nations collectively at the highest level.
- Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) – India being one of the member of SCO influence its decision on the region which are mostly related to security concerns.
- Chabahar port – Provides the trading route via sea.
- Air corridors – India should try the air corridors to overcome the hurdles of land route.
What are the challenges to India’s relation with Central Asia?
- Non availability of land trade route since its access being denied by Pakistan.
- Even though Chabahar port provide sea trade it is not fully developed yet.
- The Central Asia have well established relationship with china and Russia leaving less room for India.
- Even though India a member of SCO its decision are limited to security concerns.