- Exercise Sea Vigil-22: The third edition of the ‘Pan-India’ Coastal Defence Exercise ‘Sea Vigil-22’ commences. This National Level Coastal Defence Exercise was conceptualised in 2018. The exercise will be undertaken along the entire 7516 km coastline and Exclusive Economic Zone of India and will involve all the Coastal States and Union territories along with fishing and coastal communities. The exercise is being conducted by the Indian Navy in coordination with the Coast Guard and other ministries entrusted with the task of maritime activities. The exercise is a build up towards the major Theatre Level Readiness Operational Exercise (TROPEX), which the Indian Navy conducts every two years. Sea Vigil and TROPEX together will cover the entire spectrum Maritime Security challenges.
- In Our LiFEtime” Campaign: National Museum of Natural History (NMNH), under the Ministry of Environment Forest and Climate Change and United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), jointly launched “In Our LiFEtime” campaign to encourage youth between the ages of 18 to 23 years to become message bearers of sustainable lifestyles. This campaign envisions to recognize youth from around the world taking climate action initiatives that resonate with the concept of LiFE. This was launched in a side event at the India Pavilion at COP 27, Sharm El-Sheikh.
- Indo-Finland Bilateral Cooperation: India and Finland agreed to carry mutual cooperation between the two countries to a new level in a number of areas of bilateral as well as global interests. Two nations decided to enhance cooperation in areas such as Digital Partnership in Future ICT, Future Mobile Technologies and Digital Education. India is keen to develop research collaborations with Finnish R&D institutions and technology collaboration with Finnish Industry especially focusing on the application of Quantum Computing. Both sides are working out detailed plan for establishment of the Indo-Finnish Virtual Network Centre on Quantum Computing.
- UTSONMOBILE App: The Ministry of Railways has officially rolled out All-India Unreserved Mobile Ticketing facility (UTS on Mobile) with a view to promote three C’s- Cashless transactions, Contact less ticketing and Customer convenience and experience. Now, the facility of booking unreserved tickets, including season tickets and also platform tickets is available through the ‘UTSONMOBILE’ app. The ‘UTS on Mobile’ application ‘in house’ has been developed by Centre for Railway Information Systems (CRIS).
- Mangrove Alliance For Climate: During the COP27 climate summit in Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt, the UAE and Indonesia announced the “Mangrove Alliance for Climate.” It includes UAE, Indonesia, India, Sri Lanka, Australia, Japan, and Spain. It seeks to educate and spread awareness worldwide on the role of mangroves in curbing global warming and its potential as a solution for climate change. However, the intergovernmental alliance works on a voluntary basis which means that there are no real checks and balances to hold members accountable. Instead, the parties will decide their own commitments and deadlines regarding planting and restoring mangroves.
Leave a Comment