1) Cloudbursts: are short-duration, intense rainfall events over a small area.
- It is a weather phenomenon with unexpected precipitation exceeding 100mm/h over a geographical region of approximately 20-30 square km.
- In the Indian Subcontinent, it generally occurs when a monsoon cloud drifts northwards, from the Bay of Bengal or the Arabian Sea across the plains then on to the Himalaya that sometimes brings 75 millimetres of rain per hour.
- Consequences of Cloudbursts: Flash floods, Landslides, Mudflows, Land caving.
2) Digital Nomad Visas: As Indonesia deals with the economic impacts of Covid-19, the country has announced “Digital Nomad Visas” for travellers, to attract more foreign tourists.
- Digital Nomads are people who work remotely while travelling to different places and spending their earned income in the country they are travelling to.
- The Digital Nomad Visa would allow remote workers to stay in Indonesia, including Bali, tax-free.
3) A kill switch: in an IT context is a mechanism used to shut down or disable a device or program.
- The purpose of a kill switch is usually to prevent theft of a machine or data or shut down machinery in an emergency.
4) Uber Files: are a leak of 182 gigabytes of data that were obtained by The Guardian newspaper from an anonymous source and shared with the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists.
- The Uber Files show how the ride-hailing start-up begun by Travis Kalanick in San Francisco in 2010 became a global behemoth by harnessing technology, working around laws, and using aggressive lobbying tactics to curry favour with governments during the period of its dramatic expansion.
5) Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan or TTP: is an Islamic terror organisation formed to resist against Pakistan government. It is the umbrella organisation for numerous militant groups operating along the Afghan-Pakistan border.
- Although Pakistani military actions, U.S. drone warfare, and factional infighting led to the TTP’s decline from 2014 to 2018, the militant group has been experiencing a strong resurgence since the Afghan Taliban and U.S. government signed a peace deal in February 2020