1) Global Alliance of National Human Rights Institutions (GANHRI):
- Genesis: Established as the International Coordinating Committee of institutions for the promotion and protection of human rights in 1993.
- It was renamed as GANHRI in 2016.
- Organisational Structure: It consists of a General Assembly and Bureau comprising an executive committee of 16 members
- Members: 120 members (88 – A status and 32 – B status NHRIs)
- “A – Accreditation”
- Functions: It accredits National Human Rights Institutions (NHRI) with an ‘A status’ (full compliance) or ‘B status’ (partial compliance) based on their adherence in meeting the requirements of the Paris Principles.
- They also support NHRIs in capacity building and on various thematic areas to improve human rights
2) Five Eyes alliance: It is an intelligence-sharing arrangement between US, UK, Canada, Australia and New Zealand.
- Under this, intelligence agencies of these five countries share signal, military and human intelligence among themselves
3) Indo-Canada relation: Deteriorating Indo-Canadian relations are expected to have potential economic spillovers in terms of trade and investment between the two nations.
- It led to a pause in negotiations on the Comprehensive Economic Partnership Agreement (CEPA) between the two nations.
- It can also adversely impact the Indian diaspora based in Canada.
4) Nagorno-Karabakh: Azerbaijan has launched military operation against Armenian forces in Nagorno-Karabakh.
- The region is referred to as Artsakh by Armenians and is a landlocked mountainous area in South Caucasus.
- It was claimed by both Azerbaijan and Armenia after the fall of the Russian Empire in 1917 and has remained a point of tension ever since.
- The territory is recognised as part of Azerbaijan, but its inhabitants are predominantly ethnic Armenians
Place in News:
1) Ukraine (Capital: KYIV):
- Missile explosion in Kostyantynivka city is being seen as a result of a wayward Ukrainian rocket.
- The City is situated in eastern Ukraine, on the Kryvyy Torets River.
- Ukraine is known as the ‘breadbasket of Europe’.
- Bounded by: Belarus, Russia, Sea of Azov, Black Sea, Moldova and Romania, Hungary, Slovakia, and Poland.
- Geographical feature
- Main Rivers: Danube river, Dnieper river.
- Highest Peak: Mount Hoverla