1) Zero FIR (First Information Report): A major challenge that has emerged for the Manipuri police now is the hundreds of zero FIRs being registered across police stations in the northeastern state and the stalled investigation in these cases.
- Zero FIR can be filed in any Police Station by the victim, irrespective of their residence or place of occurrence of crime, and then transfers to the relevant police station for further investigation.
- Purpose: Provide speedy redressal to victims so that timely action can be taken after the filing of FIR.
- The concept of Zero FIR was introduced on the recommendation of the Justice Verma Committee.
- No serial number is assigned to the case, instead, the FIR is given the number ‘0’ and hence the name.
- Term FIR is not defined in any law but in police regulations/rules, information recorded under Section 154 of CrPC is known as FIR.
2) Friends of BRICS Meeting: India’s National Security Advisor has participated in the Friends of BRICS Meeting in Johannesburg, South Africa.
- BRICS comprises Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa.
- In addition to BRICS, Friends of BRICS countries have participated in meetings. These are Belarus, Burundi, Iran, UAE, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Kazakhstan and Cuba.
- The objective of the Friends of BRICS initiative is to promote the interaction of BRICS with close allies and enhance its influence.
- India emphasized rising cyber risks with the advent of disruptive technologies such as Artificial Intelligence (AI), Big Data and the Internet of Things.
3) National Statistical Organisation (NSO): Dr Pronab Sen’s panel appointed by the government to review the methodology of NSO.
- Ministry: Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation.
- Acts as the nodal agency for the planned development of the statistical system in the country. Prepares national accounts as well as publishes annual estimates of national products.
- Compiles and releases the Index of Industrial Production, and conducts the Annual Survey of Industries.
- Conducts periodic all-India Economic Censuses.
- Maintains liaison with international statistical organizations, such as the United Nations Statistical Division, the Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP), etc.
4) Income Tax Day (24th July): On 24th July 1860 Sir James Wilson introduced income tax for the first time in India.
- It is observed to spread awareness around the importance of taxes and encourage more and more people to pay taxes for the development of the nation.
- On the sideline of celebration, the Ministry of Finance directed the Income-Tax Department to prioritize transparency, objectivity, and taxpayer-friendliness to increase the tax base.
- Net Direct Tax Collections have increased by 160.17 from FY. 2013-14 to F.Y. 2022-23.