1) Omega Centauri: A strange class of high-temperature stars detected in the globular cluster Omega Centauri, the largest-known globular cluster in the Milky Way may provide clues to its formation.
- Detected by AstroSat (India’s first dedicated space observatory, which has been operating since 2015).
- Globular clusters are spherical aggregates of several thousand to millions of stars bound by gravity. These systems are thought to have formed early on in the Universe and can serve as perfect astrophysical laboratories for astronomers to understand how stars evolve through various phases
2) Coking coal: Coal is a fossil fuel and is the altered remains of prehistoric vegetation that originally accumulated in swamps and peat bogs.
- Coking coal is a high-quality coal that is low in impurities and has a high carbon content, which makes it ideal for use in the metallurgical process.
- It is used to produce coke, which is a porous, solid carbon material that is used as a fuel and a reducing agent in the production of iron and steel.
- Largest coal-producing countries in the world: China, India, United States
3) Sammakka Saralamma Jatara: also known as Medaram Jatara is the second-largest fair of India, after the Kumbh Mela, celebrated by the second-largest Tribal Community of Telangana- Koya tribe
- It is a tribal festival honoring the fight of a mother and daughter, Sammakka and Saralamma, with the reigning rulers against an unjust law.
- Koya tribe is the largest adivasi tribe of Telangana and listed as Scheduled Tribe in Telangana.
- Koyas perform a robust colourful dance called Permakok ata (Bison horn dance) and are settled cultivators.
4) Triple test formula: The ‘triple test’ formula was suggested by the Supreme Court in 2010 to provide OBC reservation in urban local body (ULB) elections. According to the formula:
- it is necessary to set up a special commission to collect data on the conditions (economic and educational), nature and impact of backwardness of OBCs in local body elections.
- On the basis of these recommendations, the state government will have to give reservations on a proportional basis in municipal and municipal elections.
- The state government will also have to keep in mind that the number of seats reserved for SC-ST or OBC should not go beyond the total reservation limit of 50 per cent.
5) Dhanu Yatra: it is an annual drama-based open-air theatrical performance celebrated in Bargarh, Odisha. It is considered the largest open-air theatre in the world where the entire town of Bargarh turns into a stage for the yatra.
- The ‘Dhanu Yatra’ which marks the victory of good over evil, came into existence in Bargarh in 1947-48 as part of the celebration of the country’s Independence and is held annually.
- Theme: The plays in the festival start with the dethroning of Emperor Ugrasen of Mathura by angry Kansa over the marriage of his sister Devaki with Vasudev. The festival will conclude with the death of demon king Kansa and restoration of the throne to Ugrasen.