1) Net Neutrality: TRAI’s recent consultation on ‘revenue sharing’ and ‘selective banning’ of OTTs providing communication services, sparked the debate on net neutrality in India.
- Net Neutrality is a principle advocating for an open and equal playing field for all online content and services.
- It ensures that Internet Service Providers treat all data on internet without discriminating or charging differently based on the content, source, or destination.
- Regulatory framework on Net Neutrality was notified by the Department of Telecommunication in 2018, which upholds the principle of non-discriminatory treatment, subject to some exceptions.
2) Sonobuoys: Indian Navy plans to equip MQ-9B Sea Guardian Drones with Sonobuoys.
- Sonobuoy is a small device used for underwater acoustic surveillance.
- It contains hydrophones that detect underwater sounds, especially those made by submarines.
- These devices are deployed from aircraft or ships and transmit real-time acoustic data, helping pin-point potential submarine threats
3) Cell Broadcast Alert System (CBAS): Department of Telecommunications with National Disaster Management Authority will be conducting the testing of CBAS.
- It aims to bolster emergency communication during disasters and prioritize safety and well-being of citizens.
- CBAS represent a cutting-edge technology used to disseminate critical and time-sensitive disaster management messages.
- Messages are delivered to all mobile devices within specified geographical areas, regardless of whether the recipients are residents or visitors.
- Government agencies and emergency services employ Cell Broadcast to keep the public informed about potential threats and to provide vital updates during critical situations.
4) Kamlang Tiger Reserve: Kamlang Tiger Reserve conducted a butterfly walk and nature trail event for the first time ever in association with NGOs.
- It is located in the Lohit district of Arunachal Pradesh and is named after the Kamlang river which flows through it.
- Climate: Sub-tropical
- Flora: Common species of trees include Ammora wallichi (Amari), Gmelina arborea (Gamari), etc.
- Fauna: Snow Leopard, Clouded Leopard, Tiger, Himalayan Palm Civets, Hornbill, etc.
- Glow Lake falls within this reserve