1) Red Sanders: It is a flora species that are endemic to a distinct tract of forests in the Eastern Ghats region of Andhra Pradesh. It usually grows in rocky, degraded and fallow lands with Red Soil and a hot and dry climate.
- IUCN Red List: Endangered, CITES: Appendix II, Wildlife (Protection) Act 1972: Schedule IV
- They are high in demand across Asia, particularly in China and Japan, for use in cosmetics and medicinal products as well as for making furniture, woodcraft and musical instruments.
2) ANGEL TAX: Indian start-ups that offer their shares to foreign investors, may have to pay ‘angel tax’. Earlier, it was only supposed to be paid for investments raised by resident Indian investors.
- For this, Finance Bill, 2023, has proposed to amend Section 56(2) VII B of the Income Tax.
- Angel Investors are High Net worth Individuals that provide seeding capital or initial capital to a start-up entity to earn healthy profit once start-ups come into operations.
- Angel tax is levied on start-ups when they receive investments in excess of their ‘fair market value’. The perceived profit is considered as income from other sources—it’s taxed at 30% and termed as angel tax. The tax covers investment in any private business entity, but only in 2016 was it applied to startups.
3) LCA Tejas: Designed by Aeronautical Development Agency under DRDO and manufactured by State-owned Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL), It replaced the ageing Mig 21 fighter planes.
- The lightest, smallest and tailless multi-role supersonic fighter aircraft in its class.
- Designed to carry a range of air-to-air, air-to-surface, precision-guided, weapons.
- Air to air refuelling capability. Maximum payload capacity of 4000 kg.
- It can attend the maximum speed of Mach 1.8. The range of the aircraft is 3,000km
4) Lupus: it is an autoimmune disease that can cause damage to any part of the body.
- An autoimmune disease is one in which the immune system is unable to recognize the difference between healthy cells in the human body and the foreign cells it fights to remove.
- This results in multiple organs like skin, joints, blood, kidney, liver, lung, and heart getting affected. It is treated by immunosuppression via drugs
- Occurs in the age group of 12-45 years affecting women or young girls more than men.
- Systemic lupus erythematosus disease activity index (SLEDAI): It is a global index that was developed and introduced in 1985 as a clinical index for the assessment of lupus disease activity in the preceding 10 days.
5) Puisne Judge: The term is used in common law countries to refer to judges who are ranked lower in seniority, i.e., any judge other than the Chief Justice of that court.
- In India, all judges have the same judicial powers. As the seniormost judge of a court, the Chief Justice has an additional administrative role.
- In India, there is a reference to a puisne judge only while considering the order of seniority for appointments, elevations to High Courts, etc., but it does not have a bearing on the exercise of a judge’s judicial power.
- Common law is the body of law that is created by judges through their written opinions, rather than through statutes or constitutions (statutory law). The United Kingdom (UK) and the Commonwealth countries, including India, are common law countries.