1) Gemini North Telescope: The Gemini North telescope in Hawai’i captured this brilliant image of a pair of spiral galaxies interacting as they clash and merge into each other.
- The Gemini North Telescope is one of the twin telescopes at the International Gemini Observatory, Maunakea, Hawai’i.
- This optical/infrared telescope is operated by the US National Science Foundation’s (NSF)
- This telescope was built to take advantage of the superb atmospheric conditions on this long-dormant volcano that rises about 4214 meters into the dry, stable air of the Pacific.
- Since 2002 Gemini North has also been known as the Frederick C. Gillett Gemini North telescope.
2) Ramon Magsaysay Award: Launched in 1958, the Ramon Magsaysay Award, widely considered to be Asia’s equivalent to the Nobel Prize, recognises outstanding leadership and communitarian contributions in Asia.
- Recognises and honours individuals and organisations in Asia, regardless of race, creed, gender, or nationality, who have achieved distinction and have helped others generously without aiming for public recognition.
- Former Kerala health minister K K Shailaja has declined her nomination for the 2022 Ramon Magsaysay Award
3) PM-SHRI Yojana: It is a centrally sponsored scheme for upgradation and development of more than 14500 Schools across the country.
- It aims at strengthening the selected existing schools from amongst schools managed by Central Government/ State/ UT Government/ local bodies.
- These schools will be equipped with modern infrastructure including labs, smart classrooms, libraries, sports equipment, art room etc. which is inclusive and accessible.
- These schools shall also be developed as green schools, Focus will be on achieving proficiency in learning outcomes of every child in every grade.
4) Rule Curve: Rule Curve is a tabulation that specifies quantum of storage of water or empty space to be maintained in a reservoir during different times of a year, based on the rainfall data for 35 years.
- The rule curve also decides on fluctuating storage levels of the reservoir.
- It is also the deciding factor on the opening of the reservoir gates.
- The rule curve is set by the Central Water Commission and during the monsoon, the number is fixed every 10 days once, based on the water level present.
5) Digital Rape: The term should not be taken to its face value rather it has a different literal meaning. Literally, it refers to the insertion of a digit (Finger, toe) into the private parts of the victim under physical or psychological force without the consent of the victim.
- Note: In the English dictionary, the finger, thumb and toe are addressed as ‘digit’ and hence the act has been named as ‘digital rape’.
- Digital rape was classified as sexual offence after 2012 Nirbhaya gang-rape incident. It was differentiated as molestation till then and now it comes under the ambit of rape definition as per the indian laws