(GS2: issues related to women)
Recently, some sportspersons made allegations of sexual harassment against WFI (Wrestling Federation of India)
Issues Faced by Sportswomen:
- Funding and Budget: Sportswomen face a lack of equal funding compared to men’s athletics,making it difficult for them to compete and run consistent programs.
- Gender Disparity: Despite women’s efforts toadvocate for their social rights, they still do not receive the same level of respect or recognition on the professional front, particularly in the sports industry, as their male counterparts.
- Lack of Access and Costlier: Lack of physical education in schools and limited opportunities to play sports in both high school and college meangirls have to look elsewhere for sports –which may not exist or may cost more money.
- Safety and Transportation Issues: Sports require a place to participate – and for many girls, especially in dense urban environments, that means traveling to facilities through unsafe neighborhoods or lacking any means to get to a good facility miles away.
- For example, Manipur is a sporting powerhouse, but 48% of female athletes travel over 10 kmto reach the practice facility.
- Social Attitudes and Disfigurement: During socially fragile adolescence, thefear of being tagged “gay” is strong enough to push many girls out of the game.
- Decreased Quality Training: The availability of quality, trained coachesmay be lacking in their community or these coaches may be more focused on the boys’ programs that have more money for training.
- Lack of Positive Role Models: Today’s girls are bombarded with images of external beauty, not those of confident, strong female athleticrole models.
- Limited Media Coverage: Women’s sports are often underrepresented in the media,which can make it harder for female athletes to gain recognition and sponsorship opportunities.
- Pregnancy and Maternity: Female athletes often face challenges balancing motherhood and their sports careers.
Why girls need to be encouraged in sports:
- They learn important life skills such as teamwork, leadership, and confidence.
- It enhances their self-image
- Girls’ involvement in sports is related to higher levels of family satisfaction.
- High school female athletes have more positive body images than non-athletes.
- Reduces chances of diseases in the long run.