PAPER – I
(Answers must be written in Kannada)
A. History of Kannada Language :-
What is Language ? General characteristics of Language. Dravidian Family of Languages and its specific features. Antiquity of Kannada Language. Different phases of its Development. Dialects of Kannada Language : Regional and Social. Various aspects of developments of Kannada Language: phonological and Semantic changes. Language borrowing.
B. History of Kannada Literature :-
- Ancient Kannada literature : Influence and Trends, Poets for study : Specified poets from Pampa to Ratnakara Varni are to be studied in the light of contents, form and expression : Pampa, Janna, Nagachandra.
- Medieval Kannada literature : Influence and Trends.
- Vachana Literature : Basavanna, Akka Mahadevi.
- Medieval Poets : Harihara, Raghavanka, Kumara-Vyasa.
- Dasa literature : Purandara and Kanaka.
- Sangataya : Ratnakarvarni
C. Modern Kannada literature : Influence, trends and ideologies, Navodaya, Pragatishila, Navya, Dalita and Bandaya.
A. Poetics and Literary Criticism :-
Definition and concepts of poetry; Word, Meaning, Alankara, Reeti, Rasa, Dhwani, Auchitya. Interpretations of Rasa Sutra. Modern Trends of literary criticism : Formalist, Historical, Marxist, Feminist, Post-colonial criticism.
B. Cultural History of Karnataka
- Contribution of Dynasties to the culture of Karnataka: Chalukyas of Badami and Kalyani, Rashtrakutas, Hoysalas, Vijayanagara rulers, in literary context. Major religions of Karnataka and their cultural contribution.
- Arts of Karnataka ; Sculpture, Architecture, Painting, Music, Dance—in the literary context.
- Unification of Karnataka and its impact of Kannada literature.