- Tehkhand Waste to Energy Plant: The Union Home and Cooperation Minister inaugurated the Tehkhand Waste to Energy Plant, which generates electricity from Municipal Corporation of Delhi waste in New Delhi. With the commissioning of this plant, the capacity for disposal of garbage per day in Delhi will further increase by 2,000 metric tonnes and this plant will also generate up to 25 MW of Green Energy.
- AMRUT Mission:Atal Mission for Rejuvenation and Urban Transformation was launched in 500 cities on 25 June 2015, with an aim to provide universal coverage of water supply in 500 selected AMRUT cities and substantial improvement in sewerage coverage. Concerned Ministry: Housing and Urban Affairs. It is a centrally sponsored scheme,It covered over 60% urban population for 5 years from FY 2015-16 to FY 2019-20. AMRUT has now been merged with AMRUT 2.0 and ongoing projects will be funded till 31st March, 2023.
- Elimination of Single Use plastics:The Ministry of Environment, Forest & Climate Change (MoEF&CC) issued Notification on August 12, 2022 banning production, sale, stocking & distribution, import and usage of identified Single Use Plastic (SUP) items including cutlery items, thin packaging films, candy & ice-cream sticks w.e.f. July 01, 2022. The Ministry had already banned polythene bags under 75 microns in September 2021, expanding the limit from the earlier 50 microns. From December 2022, the ban will be extended to polythene bags under 120 micron. According to the Plastic Waste Management Rules, 2016, there is also a complete ban on sachets using plastic material for storing, packing or selling gutkha, tobacco and pan masala. Digital interventions including development of SUP Compliance Monitoring Portal & SUP Public Grievance App were taken up to facilitate the enforcement of ban.
- National service scheme: Presented by President of India. Centor sector scheme, launched in 1969 under ministry of youth affairs and sports. Ministry of Youth Affairs & Sports, Department of Youth Affairs confers every year the National Service Scheme Award to recognize and reward outstanding contributions towards voluntary community service made by the Universities/ +2 Council, Programme Officers/NSS Units and NSS Volunteers, with a view to further promote NSS in the country.
- Swachh Vayu Sarvekshan-Ranking of Cities under National Clean Air Programme: Under the guidance of the Minister for Environment, Forest and climate Change, the Ministry launched Swachh Vayu Sarvekshan that promotes ranking of 131 cities in the country for implementing City Action Plans prepared as part of National Clean Air Programme (NCAP) for reducing air pollution upto 40% by 2025-26. Cities are required to do the self-assessment as per the framework provided on PRANA online portal. This assessment is carried out annually.
Leave a Comment