- Blue flag certification: Recently Minicoy, Thundi Beach and Kadmat Beach both in Lakshadweep make it to coveted list of Blue Beaches, an eco-label given to the cleanest beaches in the world. It is an internationally recognised eco-label that is accorded based on 33 criterias. These criterias are divided into 4 major heads namely, Environmental education and information, Bathing water quality, Environmental management, Conservation and safety services in the beaches. It is accorded by the international jury composed of eminent members – United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), United Nations World Tourism Organisation (UNWTO), Denmark-based NGO Foundation for Environmental Education (FEE) and International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN).
- Indian coast guard: ICG was established in August 1978 by the Coast Guard Act, 1978 as an independent Armed force of India. It is the fourth largest Coast Guard in the world. It is an Armed Force, Search and Rescue and Maritime Law Enforcement agency under the Ministry of Defence. It is headquartered in New Delhi. The concept of forming ICG came into being after the 1971 war. For effective command and control, the Maritime Zones of India are divided into five Coast Guard Regions, namely, North-West, West, East, North-East and Andaman & Nicobar.
- The Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB): It is a multilateral development bank with a mission to improve social and economic outcomes in Asia. It is headquartered in Beijing and began its operations in January 2016. Membership in the AIIB is open to all members of the World Bank or the Asian Development Bank and is divided into regional and non-regional members. Unlike other MDBs (multilateral development bank), the AIIB allows for non-sovereign entities to apply for AIIB membership, assuming their home country is a member. China is the largest shareholder with 26.61 % voting shares in the bank followed by India (7.6%), Russia (6.01%) and Germany (4.2 %).India is a Founding Member. India also has the largest project portfolio within AIIB.
- The 7th ASEAN-India Ministerial Meeting: The 7th ASEAN-India Ministerial Meeting (AIMMAF) on Agriculture and Forestry was held recently. In the meeting, the progress in implementation of various programs and activities under the Medium Term Action Plan of ASEAN-India Cooperation (Year 2021-2025) was reviewed. The meeting also welcomed the 30th anniversary of ASEAN-India relations. In the meeting, the commitment to ASEAN-India cooperation in agriculture and forestry was reaffirmed. Union Minister Shri Tomar committed to enhance India’s cooperation with ASEAN in food security, nutrition, climate change adaptation, digital farming, nature-friendly agriculture, food processing, value chain, agricultural marketing and capacity building.
- Har Ghar Jal state: Gujarat has been declared Har Ghar Jal state by Gujarat state Ministry. Goa and Dadra & Nagar Haveli and Daman & Diu (D&NH and D&D) became the first ‘Har Ghar Jal’ certified State and UT in the country respectively. The people from all the villages have declared their village as Har Ghar Jal through a resolution passed by Gram Sabha, certifying that all households in the villages have access to safe drinking water through taps.
Leave a Comment