- Indian National Centre for Ocean Information Services(INCOIS): It is an autonomous organization under the Ministry of Earth Sciences (MoES). It is located in Hyderabad & was established in 1999. It is a unit of the Earth System Science Organization (ESSO), New Delhi. The ESSO operates as an executive arm of the Ministry of Earth Sciences (MoES) for its policies and programmes. It is mandated to provide the best possible ocean information and advisory services to society, industry, government agencies and the scientific community through sustained ocean observations and constant improvement through systematic and focused research.
- Samudrayaan Mission: It is India’s first unique manned ocean mission that aims to send men into the deep sea in a submersible vehicle for deep-ocean exploration and mining of rare minerals.Ministry of Earth Sciences is the Nodal Agency. It will send three persons in a manned submersible vehicle MATSYA 6000 to a depth of 6000 metres into the sea for deep underwater studies. Submarines go only about 200 metres. It is a part of the Rs 6000-crores Deep Ocean Mission.
- Shri Guru Nanak Dev: This year marked the 553rd birth anniversary of Guru Nanak Dev Ji. Guru Nanak Dev (1469-1539) was born in a village, Talwandi Rai Bhoe, near Lahore (it was renamed later as Nankana Sahib). Guru Nanak Dev initiated inter-faith dialogue way back in the 16th century and had conversations with most of the religious denominations of his times.His written compositions were included in the Adi Granth compiled by Guru Arjan, the fifth Sikh guru. This came to be known as Guru Granth Sahib after the additions made by the 10th guru Guru Gobind Singh.
- Mangrove Alliance for Climate(MAC): Mangrove Alliance for Climate (MAC) event was held on the side-lines of the ongoing COP 27 at Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt. MAC initiative brings the world together to advance the global cause of Mangroves. Mangroves are one of the most productive ecosystems of the world. This tidal forest serves as a nursery ground for several organisms, protects the coastal erosion, sequestering the carbon and providing livelihood.Mangroves are distributed in the tropical and sub-tropical region of the world and are found in 123 countries. Mangroves are among the most carbon-rich forests in the tropics. They account for 3% of carbon sequestered by the world’s tropical forests.
- National Institute of Ocean Technology(NIOT): It was established in 1993. NIOT is an autonomous society under the Ministry of Earth Sciences, Government of India. It is managed by a Governing Council and the Director is the head of the Institute. Mandate:to develop reliable indigenous technologies to solve the various engineering problems associated with harvesting of non-living and living resources in the Indian Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ), which is about two-thirds of the land area of India. Headquarter: Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
Leave a Comment