1) Bhashini Mission: It aims to build a National Public Digital Platform for languages.
- It is a local language translation mission that aims to break the barrier between various Indian tongues by using available technology.
- This government platform aims to make Artificial Intelligence and Natural Language Processing (NLP) resources available in the public domain to be used by — Indian MSMEs, startups an and individual innovators. This will help developers to offer all Indians easy access to the internet and digital services in their native languages.
- This online platform also has a separate ‘Bhasadaan’ section which allows individuals to contribute to multiple crowdsourcing initiatives and it is also accessible via respective Android and iOS apps.
2) SSLV-D2: In its second attempt, ISRO’s smallest vehicle, Small Satellite Launch Vehicle (SSLV-D2), was launched from the Satish Dhawan Space Centre, Sriharikota, Andhra Pradesh.
- It will place the ISRO’s earth observation satellite EOS-07 and two co-passenger satellites – Janus-1 and AzaadiSat2.
- Janus-1: It is a technology demonstrator satellite built by US-based Antaris and its Indian partners XDLinks and Ananth Technologies.
- AzaadiSat2: It is a Cubesat weighing around 8 kg and carries 75 different payloads.
- Girl students from rural regions across the country were provided guidance to build these payloads. The payloads are integrated by the student team of “Space Kidz India”.
3) Exercise TARKASH: Sixth edition of joint exercise TARKASH recently concluded by The National Security Guard (NSG) and US Special Operations Forces (SOF) in Chennai.
- The exercise for the first time included “Chemical, Biological, Radiological and Nuclear (CBRN) terror response” in its drill.
- The objective was to rapidly neutralise the terrorists, rescue the hostages safely and deactivate the chemical weapons being carried by the terrorists.
4) Bru Refugee Crisis: Bru or Reang is a community indigenous to Northeast India, living mostly in Tripura, Mizoram and Assam. In Tripura, they are recognised as a PVTG.
- In Mizoram, they have been targeted by groups that do not consider them indigenous to the state. In 1997, following ethnic clashes, nearly 37,000 Brus fled Mizoram and were accommodated in relief camps in Tripura.
- They belong to Indo-Mongoloid racial stock. Their languages have an affinity with Austro-Asiatic groups under the Tibeto-Burman family.
- Ethnically they are divided into 2 major clans namely Meska and Molsoi.
- Their language is known as “Kaubru” and they practise jhum cultivation.
5) Operation Dost: It is an ongoing search and rescue mission initiated by the Government of India to help Syria and Turkey, after they witnessed a massive earthquake that left thousands dead, injured and trapped under the rubble.
- Under operation dost, India has sent search and rescue teams, mainly teams of the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF), materials, medicines, medical equipment and consumables to Turkey and Syria.