1) Lone wolf attack: a gunman killed 19 children in Texas.
- The term “lone wolf” is used by US law enforcement agencies and the media to refer to individuals undertaking violent acts of terrorism outside a command structure.
- A lone actor, lone-actor terrorist, or lone wolf is someone who prepares and commits violent acts alone, outside of any command structure and without material assistance from any group. They may be influenced or motivated by the ideology and beliefs of an external group and may act in support of such a group.
2) National Investigation Agency (NIA): he National Investigation Agency (NIA) was constituted under the National Investigation Agency (NIA) Act, 2008.
- It is a central agency to investigate and prosecute offences:
- affecting the sovereignty, security and integrity of India, security of State, friendly relations with foreign States, against atomic and nuclear facilities and smuggling in High-Quality Counterfeit Indian Currency.
- It acts as India’s central counter terrorism law enforcement agency under Ministry of Home affairs.
3) Sticky bombs: Sticky bomb is an improvised explosive device or IED with inbuilt magnets and timer. These can be stuck on vehicles and can be controlled using remote control device.
4) Balkanization: it is the division of a multinational state into smaller ethnically homogeneous entities. The term also is used to refer to ethnic conflict within multiethnic states.
- It was coined at the end of World War I to describe the ethnic and political fragmentation that followed the breakup of the Ottoman Empire, particularly in the Balkans.
- The term Balkanization is today invoked to explain the disintegration of some multiethnic states and their devolution into dictatorship, ethnic cleansing, and civil war.
5) Palestine: Today, Palestine theoretically includes the West Bank (a territory that sits between modern-day Israel and Jordan) and the Gaza Strip (which borders modern-day Israel and Egypt)
- The West Bank is sandwiched between Israel and Jordan. One of its major city is Ramallah, the de facto capital city of Palestine.
- Gaza strip is located between Israel and Egypt. Israel occupied it after 1967 but relinquished control and day to day administration under Oslo accord.