CSAT is a qualifying paper, so we are going to set its strategy separate from GS paper I.
This will benefit greatly in time-management and also in developing focus for the GS paper. This strategy will benefit those who are struggling with the CSAT paper as well as those who have very few doubts on the CSAT.
The English passages are not intended to test a candidate’s proficiency in ‘English’ but rather they were intended to test the capacity of a candidate to comprehend a complex text. the focus is on the capacity to grasp and understand the idea and intention behind a text not its language.
The Comprehension has become a primary section in all recruitment examinations. The toughness of the question in the comprehension section can managed, after the adequate amount of practice. But aspirants must improve their basic English.
Reading newspaper reports, editorials and magazines will be helpful in sharpening your reading skills. The important aspect is practicing the question from the comprehension section from previous years question papers. One can also attempt passages which are easy and topics which are familiar. Make sure you should create a habit of reading and referring to dictionary.
- Read the passage very fast, just skim through it within a minute.
- Read the questions with their options.
- Go to the relevant section of the passage.
- Mark the answer which you think is correct.
- Complete all the questions of one passage in one go.
- Always mark the answer by using eliminating method, eliminate those options which are least likely to be correct.
- Broaden your database (knowledge).
- Learn to understand the structure of Paragraphs.
- Choose your Passages Carefully.
- Avoid Long Passages with few Questions.
- Focus on Comprehension, instead of speed.
- Keep noting the main points of the passage on a sheet of paper.
The CSAT paper is a qualifying paper and is always treated it like that. But giving a cornerstone position will not give any rewards i.e. taking this paper lightly just as a qualifying paper will not help. Pick a book of your choice and try solving all the questions. Practice as much as possible as only preparation is good enough to crack this paper.
So, have faith, follow this strategy which many have followed before you with success. Fight that fears with faith and begin your preparation as soon as you finish reading this. Good luck!